Sunday, November 16, 2008

RSC Pilgrimage 2008

So yesterday (11/15) I went on the second annual Religious Studies Club Pilgrimage. We first went to an FLDS meeting house in Eagle Mountain. I thought it was really interesting. They talked about how they still accepted the LDS faith as a religion and how they even considered it to be the Mother Religion. They talked about common misconceptions such as they don't believe in any kind of abuse or arranged marriages or incest. They also talked about how life was like growing up in the FLDS religion. I thought it was interesting that they did not fit the preconceived notion of that which we define polygomy. They were very open about everything and they both had the most wonderful sense of humor. When asked about the sleeping arrangements between wives Nathan ( the man we talked to) said with a serious face . . .
"I really big hamock" There are somethings that I still don't agree with about what they said but over all I really enjoyed it. The next stop was at the Buddist Temple in Salt Lake. When we walked in the first thing that you noticed was the incense. He talked about the symbols of the alters, the most interesting one was the budda for wisdom. He said that since the face is hidden, you must bow to see it. This is because it reminds us that we can not walk arrogent with pride we must also be able to bow down with humility. I really enjoyed going this year and opening my eyes to a whole new experience.

No comments: